It has now been 18 weeks since I have run since stress fracturing my tibia all the way through while running (and finishing) Rocky Raccoon 100.
You know its been awhile since you ran when:
- Your family compliments you on your toe nails, only one is black.
- You can’t remember when you bought your last pair of shoes.
- You wonder if your model of shoe has been discontinued.
- You see an overweight runner going down the street and you mutter to yourself, “show-off”
- Nerve endings in your feet are coming to life for the first time in 8 years.
- You have gained ten pounds but have been eating half as much as usual.
- You no longer have reoccurring dreams about showing up for races late.
- You discover that you have three grand children
- Your grandson can run faster than you…in his walker
- You start referring to yourself as a former runner
On the bright side, things are progressing. The fracture was nearly complete through the entire bone. I now have a bone stimulator machine that seems to be helping. I can now do short walks nearly pain free.